Developed communication and Ground Control Station software for atmospheric re-entry vehicle competition securing International Rank 3 out of 40 teams in the CanSat 2012 competition at Abilene, TX, USA.
What is CanSat?
An annual student design-build-launch competition for space-related topics organized by The American Astronautical Society (AAS) and American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- Developed communication and Ground Control Station software for atmospheric re-entry vehicle CanSat
- Secured International Rank 3 out of 40 teams in the CanSat 2012 competition at Abilene, TX, USA
- Coordinated with marketing team to garner sponsorship of INR 500,000 from IIT Delhi and external funds
- Preliminary Design suggested by the team was appreciated and adjudged second best worldwide
The mission is to launch an autonomous cansat with a deployable lander containing one large hen’s egg. The cansat consists of two parts, the carrier and the lander. The carrier holds and releases the lander. The term cansat shall refer to the complete system – the carrier and the lander.
This competition aims at introducing the complete product design cycle involved in rockets. Focus point here is just the part of rocket that detatches itself from the rocket at a height of about 600m. This part is named as CANSAT and comprises of a carrier and a lander. There is a raw hen egg in the lander and our main aim is to prevent that egg from breaking as it comes to ground. Meanwhile we are expected to transmit some basic data collected from the surroundings to the base station.
During the descent, initially both carrier and lander have to descend at a rate of 10m/s. At about 200m height, the speed should be reduced to 5m/s. Then,the lander will detatch itself from carrier at a height of about 90m, after which, we are expected to control the decent rate of lander more accurately to less than 5m/s.
Finally, as part of one of the optional parameters, we have to measure the force of impact on the ground and store it in the memory of cansat.
- Arpit Goyal
- Kshiteej Mahajan
- Sarthak Kalani
- Aman Mittal
- Sudeepto Majumdar
- Harsh Parikh
- Rajat Gupta
- Prateek Gupta
- Akash Verma
- Digit reader wins accolades at CanSat 2012, Digit April 2012, Page 118
Digit April 2012, Page 118
- IIT का ‘गरुण” नासा की प्रतियोगिता में अव्वल
Hindustan Newspaper, March 23, 2012